The American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island (ACLU-RI) seeks a full-time nonprofit development generalist to help manage and oversee a diverse array of strategic and administrative fundraising and development activities.
The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Solicit and secure gifts from existing major donors, through campaign mailings, regular cultivation communications and donor relationship building
- Research and cultivate prospective major donors
- Oversee and expand upon the organization’s recurring fundraising campaigns
- Develop and implement new strategies to obtain and retain ACLU-RI donors and members
- Create impactful donor communications, including assisting in the preparation of the organization’s regular print newsletter
- Act as a liaison and correspond with current ACLU-RI members and donors
- Work with communications staff on existing and new social media fundraising opportunities
- Oversee annual financial reconciliation process
- Manage and maintain confidential donor database, run giving reports and track campaigns
- Act as a liaison with National ACLU to stay abreast of development best practices and ensure smooth transition to new Salesforce product
- Process donations and send out timely gift acknowledgements to donors
- In collaboration with other staff, create and coordinate donor and educational events, and occasionally represent the ACLU at co-sponsored events.
The ideal candidate is a development generalist with:
- Demonstrated understanding of donor-centric approaches to development
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated strong commitment to civil liberties and the mission and core principles of the ACLU
- A familiarity with relational donor databases, preferably Salesforce
- Excellent computer skills, including Office365 and related tools
- A flexible attitude, who is willing to assume additional duties as appropriate
- The ability to work productively with minimal supervision and coordinate development activities on behalf of the executive director.
Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
We provide excellent benefits, including health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, dental insurance, parking, and a Defined Contribution 401K retirement plan.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject heading “Development Search”, or by snail mail to:
Development Search Committee - ACLU of Rhode Island
128 Dorrance Street, Suite 400 - Providence, RI 02903
If feasible, please submit the materials as a single PDF. Indicate in your cover letter any salary requirement and where you found this job listing. No phone calls, please.
The ACLU of Rhode Island is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this will begin as a hybrid remote/in-office work position. Ultimately, it will be based in the ACLU-RI office.