The American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island (ACLU-RI) seeks a full-time nonprofit communications generalist to help manage and oversee the organization’s educational and digital communications efforts.
The position includes the following regular responsibilities in these core areas:
- Manage the affiliate’s social media accounts, including creation and curation of graphics and short-form video content, to complement our policy, legal and other work
- Maintain, update and expand the organizational website
- Run and analyze regular website analytics reports and track social media performance to engage supporters and gain new followers and visibility
- Manage a digital content calendar to ensure the timely and routine placement of digital content on a variety of platforms
- Draft and send emails to our members and subscribers
- Oversee web and social media-based fundraising initiatives in conjunction with development staff
- Design and produce graphics and other content that is consistent with ACLU branding guidelines
- Stay abreast of a rapidly changing digital communications landscape to ensure relevant communication of our work.
- Develop multi-platform digital campaigns on specific issues, including racial profiling, students’ rights, gender equality and voting rights
- Expand our current library of printed Know-Your-Rights information with additional topics and the creation of related digital and visual content
- In collaboration with policy staff, create graphics and other content that complement written research and reports
- In collaboration with other staff, prepare quarterly newsletter for electronic and mail distribution
- In collaboration with other staff, create and coordinate several annual events (both in-person and via zoom) to engage existing members and supporters, and occasionally represent the ACLU at co-sponsored events.
- Assist with media strategy and messaging
- Draft news releases and organize news conferences
- Maintain media contact lists and build relationships with members of the media
- Monitor local media and social media coverage of the ACLU-RI and relevant civil liberties issues.
The ideal candidate has:
- A demonstrated strong commitment to civil liberties and the mission and core principles of the ACLU
- Familiarity with a range of digital communication tools and platforms, and a demonstrated ability to adapt quickly based on new trends and best practices
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems, including online communications, word processing, graphic design software and content creation tools
- Strong social media competency, particularly with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tik Tok
- A keen eye for design and visual presentation with the ability to create engaging content
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
We provide excellent benefits, including health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, dental insurance, parking, and a Defined Contribution 401K retirement plan.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject heading “Communications Search”, or by snail mail to:
Communications Search Committee - ACLU of Rhode Island
128 Dorrance Street, Suite 400 - Providence, RI 02903
If feasible, please submit the materials as a single PDF. Indicate in your cover letter any salary requirement and where you found this job listing. No phone calls, please.
The ACLU of Rhode Island is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this will begin as a hybrid remote/in-office work position. Ultimately, it will be based in the ACLU-RI office.