Morgan v. Kilmartin (2018)
Category: Active Case Open Government
About This Case:
This is an appeal to the RI Supreme Court filed by ACLU of RI cooperating attorney Lynette Labinger on behalf of former House Minority Leader Patricia Morgan whose access to documents pertaining to the former Attorney General’s expenditure of more than $50M in funds from the “Google settlement” was stymied by hundreds of questionable redactions.
An ACLU of RI blog post on this issue: Has the Attorney General Put the Final Lapel Pin in The Coffin of the Access to Public Records Act?
May 2019: In a letter to the ACLU, Attorney General Neronha’s office indicated they had reviewed all of the redacted documents initially provided Morgan and are now making public many of those documents in unredacted form.
ACLU Cooperating Attorney:
Related News Releases
- May 29, 2019 - Attorney General Reverses Former AG, Releases Documents in Google Settlement Fund Case
- Jan 22, 2019 - ACLU Asks State Supreme Court to Address Key Open Records Issues in Google Settlement Fund Case
- Oct 15, 2018 - Citing Public Interest, Judge Rules in Favor of Fee Waiver in Google Settlement Records Request
- Oct 12, 2018 - ACLU Files Brief in Support of Requiring AG to Waive Fees for Google Settlement Records
- Oct 03, 2018 - ACLU Releases Critical Analysis of AG’s Handling of Request for Records on Google Settlement Money