Barrington School Committee v. Student (2019)
Category: Active Case Due Process Free Speech Right to Petition & Protest Students' Rights Youth Rights
About this Case:
This is a lawsuit brought by the Barrington School Committee against the Rhode Island Department of Education and a middle school student who successfully challenged his three-day out-of-school suspension - twice.
Lawsuit dismissed in January 2020.
- The Lawsuit
- RIDE Decision (January 2019)
- ACLU Brief in CESE Appeal (May 2019)
- CESE Decision (August 2019)
- Barrington School Superintendent Response (November 2019)
- Dismissal (January 2020)
Related News Releases
- Jan 31, 2020 - Barrington Drops Lawsuit Against Student for Challenging Unlawful School Suspension
- Oct 31, 2019 - Barrington Sues Student for Challenging Unlawful School Suspension; Seeks Award of Fees
- Aug 02, 2019 - ACLU Applauds Education Ruling Helping To Stem Unnecessary Out-Of-School Suspensions