The American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island is seeking a Policy Associate. The duties for this position include assisting the Executive Director in various day-to-day and long-term programmatic and organizational activities, including lobbying at the General Assembly, research and report writing, representing the ACLU in public forums, serving as a liaison with other community groups, and various administrative and other tasks as necessary.
Applicants must be committed to the mission of the ACLU and have strong organizational, communications, administrative, writing and computer skills. Good interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, thick skin and strong backbone also go a long way. The Policy Associate reports directly to the Executive Director, but also works as directed with other staff.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Assist the Executive Director in lobbying activities at the State House. This includes reviewing, researching and drafting legislation, writing position statements, testifying at committee hearings, and regularly attending legislative sessions and lobbying legislators on an individual basis.
● Write letters and prepare fact sheets, email alerts and other materials to and for ACLU members and others on legislative issues.
● Engage in similar activities on issues occurring at the local level.
● Analyze and testify on state administrative regulations.
● Represent the ACLU in media interviews and inquiries, and assist with our social media outreach on civil liberties issues.
● Research and write reports, including editing and layout.
● Serve as liaison with other public interest and community organizations, and work with and organize coalitions on issues of mutual interest and concern.
● Assist with special educational projects, such as monthly cable program, publication of brochures, organizing public forums, and similar efforts.
● Assist with miscellaneous administrative and fundraising tasks and other projects as necessary in a small office, as assigned by the Executive Director.
Evening work required during the legislative session, and some evening and weekend work otherwise required.
Job Experience / Education / Certifications
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject heading “Policy Associate Search”, or by snail mail to:
Policy Associate Search Committee
ACLU of Rhode Island
128 Dorrance Street, Suite 400
Providence, RI 02903
Please indicate in your cover letter any salary requirement and where you found this job listing. No phone calls, please.
The ACLU of Rhode Island is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBT individuals.